Subtracting Across ZERO-possible freebie:)

Happy Sunday Friends! I am LOVING this weather today! It's like 60 degrees out and so relaxing! The problem is...I want to stay in bed ALL day! But I can't! So instead, I am working on a few things for the week and then off to do my weekly cooking. Since it is so nice and cool I am going to try this French Onion Cheesy Casserole!
I hope it is as good as it looks:)

So tomorrow is my first observation! I was supposed to have it last week but the person who is observing me had something else that came up she had to do. So, tomorrow it is. I am introducing subtraction across zero...something the kids ALWAYS struggle with! I am hoping they get it tomorrow!

So with the Common Core, students are being asked to write to explain! I want the students to be able to explain how to subtract across zero and show me how to solve a problem. So here is my plan!

I found this awesome YouTube video with a "squaring off" method that I just love. And what I really like about it is...there is a part of the video a kid explains HOW to do it! Perfect! 


We will practice a problem together. Then I am going to give each pair of partners a subtraction word problem since we have been working on word problem strategies!
Thank you Ms. Winston for these strategies!

So here are my word problems! I made 10 of them for students to work on groups of two. I plan on making a few more!



I would LOVE 2 people to take a look at my word problems and proof them! then I will send you the final copy for free! Please only offer of you can do it right away! Don't forget to leave me your email! 

But...you can still WIN this for FREE! Try and guess my husband's birthday...it's this month...and how old he will be (in his 30's) and I will give it to you for free!


Have a great Sunday!

16 comments:

  1. I love the squaring off method! I would proof your problems for you!
    bkraft05@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tonya,

    I am happy to help you proof them :)

    ~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts
    3rdgradethoughts@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for helping! As soon as I fix the errors and add a few more problems I will email it back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, oh MY that cheesy onion casserole looks amazing! I just pinned it.. let me know how it turns out!

    Good luck on your observation! I'm getting observed the following week.. ah! But you seem very prepared so I'm sure it will go great!

    Looks like you already have people to proof them for you.. so I'll try to guess your husband's birthday. Well, as a fellow October baby, I'm going to guess October 27th (that's my birthday, so that would be pretty cool! lol) And I will guess he is going to turn 32.

    Ashley
    The Resource Room Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look good doesn't it! You are CLOSE to his birthday, but he will not be 32. I am sure he wishes he was 32 again:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. you just got realllllll close:) on both numbers

      Delete
  7. And I'll guess 37 on October 29th.
    Jen
    tjarhoulette@q.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got his bday right, but not his age! I will still give it to you anyways! Sending here soon!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My guess is 37 on the 26th.
    lraines78@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, since my original guess (37 on the 27th) was taken, I'll try 39 on the 29th! I'm starting addition shortly and can't wait to start using some of your ideas!

    Thanks!
    Jenn
    jmarciana1208@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEA! You got it! Last year in the 30's! I love the fact he doesn't feel or act that old! I will get the packet to you here soon!

      Delete
  11. He will turn 35 or 36 on the 27th. My birthday is on the 16ht.

    ReplyDelete